1. Able to read, write, speak and understand English.
2. High School diploma or GED.
3. A valid Tennessee Driver’s License.
4. Associates degree or apprenticeship in Mechanical Trades/ electrical, plumbing or in a related field preferred but not required; at least 3-5 years of commercial building maintenance experience preferred but not required; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and ability for this position.
5. Understand and read blueprints and schematic drawings.
6. Basic understanding of Electrical codes per the NEC codebook.
7. Ability to properly use and understand a MultiMeter.
8. Meets the necessary health and physical qualifications as outlined in this Job Description.
9. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Director of Maintenance may find appropriate and acceptable can be used.
Perform skilled work in the maintenance, repair, and alteration of buildings, facilities, and fixtures, including minor carpentry, plumbing, HVAC and electrical trades work for Monroe County Government; Maintain the equipment and buildings in a condition of operating excellence so that full use of them may be made at all times.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Inspects buildings and machinery to identify maintenance needs and assess building problems, identify a solution or contact person responsible to fix the problem;
2. Repair and maintain machinery, plumbing, physical structures, and electrical wiring fixtures in accordance with building codes;
3. Perform routine electrical maintenance and repair to include: removal/replacement of ballasts and bulbs in fluorescent fixtures; replacing light fixtures, switches, and duplex receptacles; replacing breakers, relays, and fuses in panels; installing/ removing light fixtures and performing general maintenance to all electrical equipment;
4. Perform routine plumbing maintenance and repair including repair/replacement of faucets, commodes, sinks, urinals, removal/ replacement of flush valves, unstopping and repairing drains, water, sewer lines, sump pumps, and maintenance on galvanized pipe, copper pipe, PVC or copper tubing;
5. Perform air conditioning and refrigeration repairs;
6. Perform routine and preventive maintenance to buildings and equipment to include: doors, roofs, drop ceilings, sheetrock repair, painting, installing shelves, end panels, removing furniture, assembling furniture, etc.;
7. Paint walls, floors, woodwork, and building fixtures;
8. Perform work with sprinkler system, fire alarm systems, and other fire protection systems;
9. Operate various mechanical tools and equipment required for minor carpentry, plumbing, electrical and maintenance skills;
10. Care for the tools, equipment, and material under their supervision, seeing that they are stored properly, clean and good repair;
11. Know and follow all safety rules and proper procedures associated with the responsibilities of the job;
12. Provide 24-hour on-call duty as needed and work the required schedule as needed; and
13. Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
Must be able to lift 50lbs. frequently, 100lbs occasionally and 100+lbs with assistance. Other physical demands are as follows:
1. Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling
2. Climbing, and /or balancing
3. Stooping, kneeling and/or crawling
8. Operate a variety of machines, tools, and equipment.
1. Vocational Education
2. Apprentice Training
3. On-The-Job Training
4. Essential Experience
TEMPERAMENT (Personal traits)
1. Adaptability to performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
2. Adaptability to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards.
3. Adaptability to dealing with people.
4. Adaptability to making generalizations, evaluations, or decisions based on sensory or judgmental criteria.
To be able to work in a variety of conditions such as but not limited to, hot and cold temperatures, tight or confined spaces, being on call 24/7, working from lifts and platforms above the ground, working around toilets and sewers, etc.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.