Nature of Work
This is professional and supervisory work overseeing and assisting with the development and implementation of a variety of public information and tourism materials and initiatives for Monroe County. Activities associated with the job include supervising and assisting with the planning and development of internal and external public information materials including newsletters and informational brochures, ensuring the coordination of a wide range of editorial, marketing and advertisement materials for various media sources including radio, television, magazines, etc., assisting with writing and reviewing press releases and preparing and receiving bids for information and communication services. Additional activities include assessing the effectiveness of public information campaigns, supervising the operation of the welcome centers and historic sites, coordinating the accumulation of public information for the county administration and tourism department including public service announcements, news releases, feature stories, speeches and newsletters and coordinating tourism activities with outside advertising and marketing agencies. Job responsibilities require considerable experience performing public relations and tourism related activities, thorough knowledge of tourism and marketing functions and operations, knowledge of surveying and research practices and methods, knowledge of the technical requirements for the production of print, radio, television and internet marketing materials, considerable supervisory experience and strong organizational, interpersonal and decision-making skills. Job performance is evaluated by the County Mayor through review of the effectiveness and creativity of public relations and tourism activities, knowledge and expertise in public relations and tourism activities and functions and marketing and surveying techniques, ability to supervise and direct the activities of departmental staff, coordination and organization of the welcome center and organizational, interpersonal and decision-making skills.
Illustrative Examples of Work
• Oversees and assists with the planning, development, and distribution of internal and external public information materials including newsletters and informational brochures.
• Supervises and assists with the coordination of materials for publication in a wide range of editorial, marketing and advertisement venues including newspaper, radio, television, and specialty and trade magazines.
• Assists with the preparation, receipt and review of bids for information and communication services.
• Oversees and assists with the preparation and distribution of press releases.
• Assesses the effectiveness of public information and public relations activities and makes decisions for improvements when necessary.
• Oversees the development and distribution of surveys of other agencies involved in tourism and marketing activities and determines effective marketing and promotional methods and practices.
• Assists with conducting special surveys of visitors to determine demographic and socio-economic characteristics, interests, etc.
• Serves as a liaison between Monroe County and journalists and fulfills requests for information, artwork, etc.
• Plans, directs and coordinates the accumulation of public information for the county including public service announcements, news releases, feature stories, articles, speeches and newsletters.
• Coordinates the activities of outside marketing and advertising agencies under contract to the county.
• Supervises the management personnel responsible for the maintenance and operation of the welcome center and historic sites including scheduling and supervision of employees, sales and revenues, ordering of merchandise, etc.
• Attends travel and trade shows to remain current on marketing and tourism trends, identification of new products, interact with advertising agencies, etc.
• Attends and participates in a number of a variety of boards and committees involved with tourism including Middle East Tourism Council (MMETTC), Chamber of Commerce, County Commission, Mainstreet, etc.
• Oversees and assists with the Monroe county website and other social media venues.
• Researches grant funded initiatives available for tourism and economic development and submits competitive grant applications as appropriate.
• Prepares and administers the public relations and visitor services budgets.
• Performs related duties as required.
Necessary Requirements of Work
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a B.A. (B.S.) Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or closely related field; thorough knowledge and experience in public relations techniques and practices; thorough knowledge of tourism and convention functions and organization; thorough knowledge of tourism research methods and techniques; supervisory experience; thorough knowledge of the design, lay-out and technical requirements for the production of print, radio, television and internet marketing materials, thorough knowledge of desktop publishing software applications, strong organizational, interpersonal and decision-making skills; or any equivalent combination of education or experience to provide the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Thorough knowledge of marketing and public relations techniques and practices.
• Thorough knowledge of tourism and convention functions and organization.
• Thorough knowledge of research and surveying methods and techniques.
• Thorough knowledge of the design, lay-out and technical requirements for the production of print, radio, television and internet marketing materials.
• Thorough knowledge of desktop publishing software applications including Photoshop, Page maker and Publisher.
• Thorough knowledge of website design and development techniques and practices.
• Thorough knowledge of welcome center operations and functions.
• Thorough knowledge of effective supervisory techniques and practices including t he selection, evaluation, motivation and discipline and/or discharge of staff.
• Considerable knowledge of grant application methods and practices including the research of available grants, application and submission procedures and grant management requirements.
• Ability to assemble, organize and present promotional materials to the pubic in an organized and effective manner.
• Ability to design and conduct effective and informative marketing surveys and analyze and accurately interpret the results.
• Ability to express ideas in an effective and succinct manner both orally and in writing.
• Ability to organize and prioritize personal time and activities of assigned personnel.
• Ability to compile data, submit competitive grant applications and effectively manage grant funded initiatives including the submission of required data and financial reporting requirements.
• Ability to prepare and submit accurate and thorough press releases when required.
• Skill in developing creative and attractive lay-outs for graphic materials, artwork, brochures, newsletters, etc.
Necessary Special Requirements
Possession of a valid Tennessee Driver’s License and the ability to be insured at standard vehicle liability rates.
• This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
• Work requires arm, hand and finger dexterity for reaching, grasping, and repetitive motions.
• Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly.
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken work levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or make fine distinctions in sound.
• Visual acuity is required for color perception, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
• The worker is subject to outside and inside environmental conditions.
Monroe County Government